Start your day with a spicy and flavorful twist with this Shakshuka with Tofu and Kale. This classic Middle Eastern dish gets a plant-based twist with the addition of creamy tofu and nutrient-packed kale. The rich tomato sauce is spiced with a blend of aromatic spices, making every bite a taste sensation. Served with a warm and crusty piece of bread, this Shakshuka with Tofu and Kale is a hearty and satisfying breakfast that is sure to become a staple in your kitchen.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 block firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 4 large eggs
- Fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish
- In a nonstick skillet over moderate heat, heat the olive oil. Put the onion, garlic, and red bell pepper in the pan and cook for approximately 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the paprika, cumin, and cayenne pepper (if using) to the pan and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Pour the diced tomatoes into the pan and season with salt and pepper to taste. Let the mixture simmer for 5 mins until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Stir in the crumbled tofu and chopped kale to the pan and cook until the kale has wilted about 3 minutes. Use a spoon to create 4 wells in the mixture. Crack an egg into each well.
- Cover your pan with a lid and let the eggs cook for 5-7 mins until the whites have solidified but the yolks are still runny. Garnish the shakshuka with fresh cilantro or parsley and serve immediately.