Chicken Fricassee is a classic French dish perfect for a cozy family dinner or a special occasion. This dish features tender chicken pieces in a creamy and flavorful sauce, with carrots, onions, and mushrooms. It's a comfort food that's simple and elegant enough to serve for a dinner party.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and crushed pepper, to taste
- Toss the meat pieces with salt and pepper, then coat them in flour, shaking off any excess. Heat the butter and olive oil over medium-high heat in a large, heavy-bottomed pot. Brown the chicken pieces on both sides until golden brown, then remove them from the pot and set aside.
- Add the chopped onions and carrots to the pot and cook until they are soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for three minutes, until they are softened. Return the chicken to the pot and pour the chicken broth and white wine.
- Take to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes. Remove the chicken and set it aside. Whisk the heavy cream into the pot and put the sauce aside to simmer for about 5 minutes until it thickens.
- Return the chicken to the pot and let it heat for a few minutes. Sprinkle the dish with salt and crushed pepper to taste. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve hot.