Chicken and chicory is a delicious and healthy dish for a weeknight dinner. The chicken is cooked until it's tender, and juicy and paired with chicory's slightly bitter flavor. This recipe is easy until a kid makes it, and it takes less than an hour to prepare.
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 4 heads of chicory, halved
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- Salt and crushed black pepper to taste
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400F (200°C). Rub the chicken breasts with salt, crushed black pepper, and dried thyme on both sides. In the oven-safe skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the minced garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the meat breasts to the skillet and cook for about 5-6 minutes on each side until they are browned and cooked. Remove the chicken and put it aside on a plate. In the same skillet, add the halved chicory and cook for 3-4 minutes for each side until they are lightly browned and tender.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and place it on the chicory. Transfer the skillet to bake and cook for about 10-12 minutes until the chicken is hot and the chicory is caramelized. Remove the skillet and let it rest for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve the chicken and chicory hot, garnished with lemon wedges, if desired.